Monday, August 8, 2016

August 3-5, 8

I realized I've been quite negligent with my blog posts so I decided to catch up by doing most of last week in one blog post. Tuesday I realized my images were showing up oddly so I met with Tori Wednesday. She said the images I sent her looked fine when she did photometry-we looked at the same images and on her computer it looked fine but on mine the stars were showing up "hard." My laptop was just doing something weird, so I spent the day redoing image reduction and plate solving some of the images so they would show up correctly in astroimagej on my computer. Thursday I met with my lab group in building 17 and was told to do photometry on the u band images. I spent the rest of the day and the next day scouring databases for viable comparison stars. Unfortunately, not many stars have known ultraviolet magnitudes. There was only one star in the field that I found on Aladin and it was incredibly faint. I was on vacation over the weekend and on Monday, but Monday evening I tried doing photometry on RZ Psc using the faint star and it didn't work. When asking me for the value, imagej sent me to SIMBAD, where it said that the star I had found was itself a variable star, so I am going to have to find a different way to get comparison stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment