Thursday, July 7, 2016

July 7

Day two of my internship was less hectic than day one. We began with our daily meeting in the Reading Room, where we went over a basic timeline for our presentations and the interns organized food for the Friday picnic tomorrow. I agreed to bring chips and convinced Allyse, who had quickly taken charge of preparations, that 24 hamburgers were too many for only nine interns.
I ended up staying in the Reading Room today to work. The Reading Room, to my (admittedly limited) knowledge is one of the best spots in Carlson-equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, comfortable chairs and a couch, it's also a turn away from the break room and ten paces away from the bathrooms.
After struggling with the wifi, I created my blog and read my astronomy textbook the rest of the day. I got done with about half of my required reading and learned more about ancient timekeeping systems than I'd ever thought I'd know.
The history of astronomy provided in the textbook, however, emphasized the importance of this field in our lives in ways I hadn't previously considered. Although I'd always had a vague understanding of how human existence is a blink of the eye in the history of the universe, the textbook truly illuminated our relative insignificance.

No comments:

Post a Comment